Witaj GOŚCIU ( Zaloguj się | Rejestracja )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Europe Around The Year 1000 A.d.

Gabrielle deMornay

Duchesse de Montebello
Grupa: Moderatorzy
Nr użytkownika: 4.112

Stopień akademicki: mgr
Zawód: tropicielka staroci

post 2/09/2007, 22:25 Quote Post

I would like to open a new topic. The topic about Europe around the Year 1000 (A.D.).
I’ve read recently a very interesting book, devoted to this issue. This publication has the same title ‘Europe around the Year 1000’ and was edited by P. Urbańczyk and Institute of Archaelogy and Ethnology Polish Academy of Sciences. It consists of many essays, written by historians from different regions of Europe. The ‘ensemble’ is written in English, apart from two articles (which are in French and in German).
We can find out about the European languages of this time, the then (onetime) Church and the new peoples. Most of authors present descriptions of their regions around the year 1000. There are appropriately: France, Khazaria, Kievan Rus’, Transylvania, The Eastern Roman Empire, the territory of East Adriatic, Italy, England, Ireland, Vinland, Iceland, Norway, Denmark, Scotland, Sweden, The Polabian principalities, Poland (of course!:)), Bohemia and Hungary. The authors of articles are inter alia: Jerzy Strzelczyk, Simon Keynes, Christian Lauranson-Rosaz, Paul Bibie, Oleksiy Toloschko, Peter Stih, Else Roesdahl, Władysław Duczko, Christian Lübke, Ludger Körtngen, Herwig Wolfram.
I let myself quote Urbańczyk’s words from the introduction: The result achieved is a suprisingly rich panorama of the whole of the continent broken into relatively separate areas.The richness of individual perspectives reflects the richness of possible views that could have been chosen. Reading this volume one may realise how complex the picture of our continent was at a time when Europe was taking the shape that we know today.
I'd recommend this publication to all who are interested in the history of early Middle Age.

The Year 1000 is an important caesura in the history of our continent. It was the beginning of the new millenium and some people then were aware of its importance. Raul Glaber described ‘Europe covered by the white mantle of churches’ (unfortunately I don’t know how to translate Polish ‘szata’ in this case. Robe? Garment?).

However, we must remember that through the Past a lot of the Year 1000 myths (in this case related to art) were created. There are:
- myth of the Norman Invasions, the plagues, the epidemics and first of all huge fear against the Apocalypsa/the End of World. This myth was denied by Henri Focillon.
- myth of the Cluny Abbey, which for some people was the only important centre of art, science and reforms.
- myth of pilgrimage tracks, which had to influence the whole European architecture and sculpture. But this influence concern mainly France.

Last but not least, I’d ask shily for understanding just because of my possible or predictable wink.gifph34r.gif linguistic mistakes. I’ve decided to write my post at English subforum, because this book is only accessible in English and I hope that the foreign users could read it.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #1

oskar(zet)

VI ranga
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 40.749

post 27/03/2008, 16:55 Quote Post

I would read book willfully it , but probably, there is not my english such good wink.gif .

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #2

paulus

VI ranga
Grupa: Przyjaciel forum
Nr użytkownika: 8.564

post 9/05/2008, 0:11 Quote Post

[..] ‘Europe covered by the white robe of churchs’ (unfortunately I don’t know how to translate Polish ‘szata’ in this case. Robe? Garment?) [..]

I think that the best rendition of the phrase in question would be ‘a white mantle of churches’.

Best wishes,
Paulus

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #3

Gabrielle deMornay

Duchesse de Montebello
Grupa: Moderatorzy
Nr użytkownika: 4.112

Stopień akademicki: mgr
Zawód: tropicielka staroci

post 15/05/2008, 21:21 Quote Post

Thank you. Indeed, a word mantle emphasizes very well the significance of the whole phrase. By the way, exists also a 'compound' mantle-covered. So I'll change this fragment in my earlier post. However, I'd say that robe might be more 'poetical' and literal translation.
Best wishes smile.gif

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #4

1 Użytkowników czyta ten temat (1 Gości i 0 Anonimowych użytkowników)
0 Zarejestrowanych:

Topic Options
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Copyright © 2003 - 2023 Historycy.org
historycy@historycy.org, tel: 12 346-54-06

Kolokacja serwera, łącza internetowe:
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej