Witaj GOŚCIU ( Zaloguj się | Rejestracja )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The German Sonderweg, How special was it?

paulus

VI ranga
Grupa: Przyjaciel forum
Nr użytkownika: 8.564

post 15/11/2008, 2:56 Quote Post

Whether you have been studying medieval or modern European history you are more than likely to have noticed by now that the course of German history presents a number of contrasts when compared with that of other European neighbours. Consequently and unsurprisingly perhaps, the issue of whether the peculiarities and unpredictabilities of German history justify speaking of ‘unique German path’ remains a hotly debated topic among historians. As early as 1947, in his now classic study, The Origins of Modern Germany, G. Barraclough noted that there has been a ‘German problem’ since at any rate the beginning of the sixteenth century; and although inevitably in a twentieth-century environment that problem has taken new shape, it is assuredly true and no attempt at a solution can succeed which, treating it in purely modern context, ignores its longstanding causes and the enduring factors which have governed its history’. Here a few other famous names can be added to the list of those who point to Germany’s alleged deviation from the West and/or the contrasts between the German political model and the gradual transition from autocracy to parliamentary democracy in England, France and the United States: just compare the works of H. Wehler and G. Eley to get an idea of the different perspectives which have shaped the modern German historiography. The question I would like to put to you this time is as follows: was there a German Sonderweg or did Germany develop along its own ‘unique path’ through history? Perhaps we are not really justified in talking of Germany's history in such terms. If not, why?

http://www.zeit.de/zeit-geschichte/2010/04/Interview

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #1

Krzysztof M.

poilu
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 19.359

Stopień akademicki: ++++
Zawód: ++++

post 15/11/2008, 10:19 Quote Post

In my opinion uniqueness of german history stems from the fact that it has been shaped by two completely different "alter-egos". On the one hand a numeber of writers, composers, philosophers or generaly speaking thinkers (Goethe, Hagel, Heiddegger, van Beethoven to name only a few of them), on the other hand (on the "other side" you may say) by militarists, commanders, dictators (Frederick the Great, Bismarck, Ludendorff, Hitler). German spirit has always been spreaded between these two pillars. The third or unique way is - as i consider it - a kind of excuse which has been used by German writers to "purify" the german perpetual state of guilt. Guilt for WW I, WW II, militarism, expansionism, holocaust, "Hun's barbarism" etc. etc. I think that von Krokow,s "Gernany - the last 100 years" explains (or at least tries to explain) what is the real "German spirit" and what are the real sources of german perpetual state of guilt.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #2

1 Użytkowników czyta ten temat (1 Gości i 0 Anonimowych użytkowników)
0 Zarejestrowanych:

Topic Options
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Copyright © 2003 - 2023 Historycy.org
historycy@historycy.org, tel: 12 346-54-06

Kolokacja serwera, łącza internetowe:
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej