Witaj GOŚCIU ( Zaloguj się | Rejestracja )

7 Strony < 1 2 3 4 > »  
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Nowości wydawnicze

The General

VII ranga
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 19.808

post 22/06/2009, 16:50 Quote Post

Od dzisiaj można zamawiać książkę Earla J. Hessa „In the Trenches at Petersburg: Field Fortifications and Confederate Defeat” (UNC Press, 2009).

user posted image

Jest to trzeci i zarazem ostatni tom opisujący rolę umocnień i fortyfikacji na wschodnim odcinku wojny. Pierwszy tom opisywał lata 1861-63, drugi skupiał się na zmaganiach Granta i Lee od Wilderness do Cold Harbor, a teraz żarty się kończą i przenosimy się wokół Petersburga, gdzie nastąpi totalne bunkrowanie się. W sumie książka ciekawa, szczególnie powinna zainteresować miłośników sztuk prowadzenia działań wojennych. Ja ze swojej strony tylko dopowiem, że Mr Hess jest jednym z moich ulubionych pisarzy.

Product Description
The Petersburg campaign began June 15, 1864, with Union attempts to break an improvised line of Confederate field fortifications. By the time the campaign ended on April 2, 1865, two opposing lines of sophisticated and complex earthworks stretched for thirty-five miles, covering not only Petersburg but also the southeastern approaches to Richmond. This book, the third volume in Earl Hess's trilogy on the war in the eastern theater, recounts the strategic and tactical operations in Virginia during the last ten months of the Civil War, when field fortifications dominated military planning and the landscape of battle.
Hess extracts evidence from maps and earthworks systems, historic photographs of the entrenchments, extensive research in published and archival accounts by men engaged in the campaign, official engineering reports, modern sound imaging to detect mine galleries, and firsthand examination of the remnants of fortifications on the Petersburg battlefield today. The book covers all aspects of the campaign, especially military engineering, including mining and countermining, the fashioning of wire entanglements, the laying of torpedo fields, and the construction of underground shelters to protect the men who manned the works. It also humanizes the experience of the soldiers working in the fortifications, revealing their attitudes toward attacking and defending earthworks and the human cost of trench warfare in the waning days of the war.

--

Drugą książką, którą chciałem zasygnalizować jest dzieło Daniela E. Sutherlanda „A Savage Conflict: The Decisive Role of Guerrillas in the American Civil War” również wydane w tym miesiącu przez UNC Press.

user posted image

Książka poświęcona jest nieregularnym operacjom wojskowym podczas wojny secesyjnej czyli ogólnie mówiąc partyzantce. Dan Sutherland bawił już się co nico w takie klimaty więc duże nadzieje pokładam w tej książce.

Product Description
The American Civil War is famous for epic battles involving massive armies outfitted in blue and gray uniforms, details that characterize conventional warfare. A Savage Conflict is the first work to treat guerrilla warfare as critical to understanding the course and outcome of the Civil War. Daniel Sutherland argues that irregular warfare took a large toll on the Confederate war effort by weakening support for state and national governments and diminishing the trust citizens had in their officials to protect them.
Sutherland points out that early in the war Confederate military and political leaders embraced guerrilla tactics. They knew that "partizan" fighters had helped to win the American Revolution. As the war dragged on and defense of the remote spaces of the Confederate territory became more tenuous, guerrilla activity spiraled out of state control. It was adopted by parties who had interests other than Confederate victory, including southern Unionists, violent bands of deserters and draft dodgers, and criminals who saw the war as an opportunity for plunder. Sutherland considers not only the implications such activity had for military strategy but also its effects on people and their attitudes toward the war. Once vital to southern hopes for victory, the guerrilla combatants proved a significant factor in the Confederacy's final collapse.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #16

lanciarius

V ranga
Nr użytkownika: 47.290

post 23/06/2009, 12:24 Quote Post

Odnośnie Earla J. Hessa

Czytałeś Generale jego książkę "The Rifle Musket in Civil War Combat: Reality and Myth"?
Jestem po lekturze "Attack and Die" McWhineya i Jamiesona, "Battle Tactics of the Civil War" Paddy'ego Griffitha i "Bloody Crucible of Courage. Fighting Methods & Combat Experience in the Civil War" Brenta Nosworthy'ego; czy praca Hessa wnosi coś nowego w porównaniu z tymi pozycjami? Z recenzji na amazonie wynika po troszę że po prostu powtarza tezy Griffitha. Warto wysupłać na to kilka (milionów) bezwartościowych CS dolarów? wink.gif

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #17

The General

VII ranga

post 23/06/2009, 18:57 Quote Post

Mam tą książkę, ale jej jeszcze nie czytałem, a gdybym nawet czytał to i tak porównać bym nie mógł, bo książek o których piszesz nie mam, nie czytałem, ani pewnie nie przeczytam, bo to trochę nie 'moje' tematy. Ale kartkując książkę Hessa widzę odniesienia do tych tytułów więc chyba jakąś polemikę autor podejmuje. Książkę Hessa kupiłem głównie ze względu na Hessa właśnie, rozdziały dot. kampanii Atlanta i ewentualne kontr odniesienia do książki Freda Ray’a o jednostkach strzelców wyborowych ANV. Niestety brak czasu i chęci obecnie na tego typu tematy uniemożliwia mi bliższe zapoznanie się z tą książką więc... sorry sad.gif

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #18

The General

VII ranga

post 6/07/2009, 19:35 Quote Post

Wypada wspomnieć, że pod koniec ubiegłego roku ukazała się mega biografia Lincolna:
Abraham Lincoln: A Life pióra Michaela Burlingame'a.

user posted image

Autor jest długoletnim studentem Lincolna i na ponad 2000 stronach uwiecznił podobno najbardziej wyczerpujący opis życia tego człowieka. Chyba trzeba będzie sobie to kiedyś sprawić, choć w Amazonie na razie trzeba wydać 90 $.

Dla zapoznania podaję linka gdzie za friko można zapoznać się z I tomem:

http://www.knox.edu/Academics/Resources-fo...oln-A-Life.html

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #19

emigrant

Antykomunista
Nr użytkownika: 46.387

Stopień akademicki: kontrrewolucjonista
Zawód: reakcjonista

post 6/07/2009, 19:37 Quote Post

QUOTE(The General @ 6/07/2009, 20:35)

Autor jest długoletnim studentem Lincolna

Nie rozumiem... confused1.gif

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #20

The General

VII ranga

post 6/07/2009, 20:21 Quote Post

QUOTE(emigrant @ 6/07/2009, 20:37)
Nie rozumiem... confused1.gif

Zdanie może nie do końca poprawnie sformułowane, ale nie powinno przysparzać problemów z jego zrozumieniem. Więc dokładnie o co chodzi? smile.gif

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #21

emigrant

Antykomunista
Nr użytkownika: 46.387

Stopień akademicki: kontrrewolucjonista
Zawód: reakcjonista

post 6/07/2009, 22:50 Quote Post

Czy to ma znaczyć, że autor wiele lat studiował pod kierunkiem Lincolna? confused1.gif

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #22

The General

VII ranga

post 7/07/2009, 16:01 Quote Post

QUOTE(emigrant @ 6/07/2009, 23:50)
Czy to ma znaczyć, że autor wiele lat studiował pod kierunkiem Lincolna? confused1.gif

Nie, to miało znaczyć, że przez wiele lat studiował życie Linolna.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #23

The General

VII ranga

post 12/07/2009, 7:06 Quote Post

Widzę, że w Amazonie bardzo dobrze sprzedaje się nowa książka o południowych unionistach --> The State of Jones by Sally Jenkins & John Stauffer.

To historia jednego z hrabstw w Mississippi, które podczas wojny sprzeciwiało się władzy stanowej i konfederackiej. Zresztą już na samym początku jego mieszkańcy sprzeciwiali się secesji, a potem wielu zdezerterowało z armii CSA. Sam nie znam dobrze tej historii więc chyba trzeba będzie tą książkę kupić... albo poczekać na film, bo podobno taki powstaje.

user posted image

ABOUT THIS BOOK:
New York Times bestselling author Sally Jenkins and distinguished Harvard professor John Stauffer mine a nearly forgotten piece of Civil War history and strike gold in this surprising account of the only Southern county to secede from the Confederacy.

The State of Jones is a true story about the South during the Civil War—the real South. Not the South that has been mythologized in novels and movies, but an authentic, hardscrabble place where poor men were forced to fight a rich man’s war for slavery and cotton. In Jones County, Mississippi, a farmer named Newton Knight led his neighbors, white and black alike, in an insurrection against the Confederacy at the height of the Civil War. Knight’s life story mirrors the little-known story of class struggle in the South—and it shatters the image of the Confederacy as a unified front against the Union.

This riveting investigative account takes us inside the battle of Corinth, where thousands lost their lives over less than a quarter mile of land, and to the dreadful siege of Vicksburg, presenting a gritty picture of a war in which generals sacrificed thousands through their arrogance and ignorance. Off the battlefield, the Newton Knight story is rich in drama as well. He was a man with two loves: his wife, who was forced to flee her home simply to survive, and an ex-slave named Rachel, who, in effect, became his second wife. It was Rachel who cared for Knight during the war when he was hunted by the Confederates, and, later, when members of the Knight clan sought revenge for the disgrace he had brought upon the family name.

Working hand in hand with John Stauffer, distinguished chair and professor of the History of American Civilization at Harvard University, Sally Jenkins has made the leap from preeminent sportswriter to a historical writer endowed with the accuracy, drive, and passion of Doris Kearns Goodwin. The result is Civil War history at its finest.

http://www.amazon.com/State-Jones-Sally-Je...47377639&sr=1-3

---

Dla porównania inną książką o hrabstwie Jones jest "The Free State of Jones. Mississippi's Longest Civil War" pióra pani Victorii E. Bynum (UNC, 2003).

user posted image

Between late 1863 and mid-1864, an armed band of Confederate deserters battled Confederate cavalry in the Piney Woods region of Jones County, Mississippi. Calling themselves the Knight Company after their captain, Newton Knight, they set up headquarters in the swamps of the Leaf River, where, legend has it, they declared the Free State of Jones.

The story of the Jones County rebellion is well known among Mississippians, and debate over whether the county actually seceded from the state during the war has smoldered for more than a century. Adding further controversy to the legend is the story of Newt Knight's interracial romance with his wartime accomplice, Rachel, a slave. From their relationship there developed a mixed-race community that endured long after the Civil War had ended, and the ambiguous racial identity of their descendants confounded the rules of segregated Mississippi well into the twentieth century.

Victoria Bynum traces the origins and legacy of the Jones County uprising from the American Revolution to the modern civil rights movement. In bridging the gap between the legendary and the real Free State of Jones, she shows how the legend--what was told, what was embellished, and what was left out--reveals a great deal about the South's transition from slavery to segregation; the racial, gender, and class politics of the period; and the contingent nature of history and memory.

Pani Bynum prowadzi osobisty blog o południowych unionistach, na którym można sobie poczytać jej recenzję książki Jenkins & Stauffera.

http://renegadesouth.wordpress.com/2009/07...eview-part-one/

Jak to zwykle bywa specjaliści w danym temacie nie zawsze zgadzają się co do pewnych aspektów danej sprawy i tak też jest w tym przypadku.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #24

The General

VII ranga

post 15/07/2009, 9:03 Quote Post

Biografia Krzyżanowskiego, o której wspominałem jest już do kupienia w Amazonie. Przy najbliższych zakupach mam zamiar ją sobie zamówić, ale mam takie pytanie do osób bardziej zorientowanych w klimatach polskich. Otóż zauważyłem, że ta sama książka (?) została wydana ponad 30 lat temu przez Polish American Congress Charitable Foundation. Więc wie ktoś coś o tej pozycji, autorze? Warta grzechu??

http://www.amazon.com/liberty-justice-time...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_4

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #25

Derenga

I ranga
Nr użytkownika: 23.012

Piotr Derengowski
Stopień akademicki: mgr
Zawód: doktorant

post 16/07/2009, 12:29 Quote Post

QUOTE(The General @ 15/07/2009, 9:03)
Biografia Krzyżanowskiego, o której wspominałem jest już do kupienia w Amazonie. Przy najbliższych zakupach mam zamiar ją sobie zamówić, ale mam takie pytanie do osób bardziej zorientowanych w klimatach polskich. Otóż zauważyłem, że ta sama książka (?) została wydana ponad 30 lat temu przez Polish American Congress Charitable Foundation. Więc wie ktoś coś o tej pozycji, autorze? Warta grzechu??

http://www.amazon.com/liberty-justice-time...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_4

Z tego co pamiętam to kompilacja artykułów Jamesa Puli o Legionie Polskim i tłumaczenie wspomnień samego Krzyżanowskiego. Ale już trochę czasu minęło odkąd zaglądałem do tej pozycji. Radziłbym przed zamówieniem zajrzec do tej pracy w Bibliotece Narodowej

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #26

Derenga

I ranga
Nr użytkownika: 23.012

Piotr Derengowski
Stopień akademicki: mgr
Zawód: doktorant

post 16/07/2009, 16:03 Quote Post

Sprawdzałem jeszcze w swoich notatkach i niestety niechcący wkradł się błąd (pamięć jest jednak zawodna wink.gif). W tej pracy nie ma zawartych wspomnień Krzyżanowskiego. Praca z pewnością warta przestudiowania choć częściowo pokrywa się z opublikowanym wcześniej przez Pulę obszernym artykułem w Polish American Studies pt. "Krzyzanowski’s Civil War Brigade"

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #27

The General

VII ranga

post 26/07/2009, 8:49 Quote Post

Ostatnio dyskutowaliśmy co nieco o Operacji Krater pod Petersburgiem, której zbliża się kolejna rocznica, więc i pora na książki. Bitwa ta zawsze była nieco zaniedbana i zapewne przyczyniła się do tego dewiza „politycznej poprawności” nakazująca unikanie tematów związanych z niewolnictwem oraz wydarzenia związane z traktowaniem czarnych żołnierzy USA. Ostatnio pojawiły się dwie książki poświęcone tej bitwie: Alan Axelrod: “The Horrid Pit: The Battle of the Crater, the Civil War's Cruelest Mission” (2007) i John F. Schmutz “The Battle of the Crater: A Complete History” (2009). Książek tych nie posiadam więc ich nie będę reklamował, ale za to zareklamuję książkę, która pojawiła się w sprzedaży na początku ubiegłego tygodnia i którą ja osobiście już w „ciemno” zamówiłem.
Mowa tutaj o książce Richarda Slotkina „No Quarter: The Battle of the Crater, 1864“.

user posted image

Slotkin pisał kiedyś o Kraterze, ale generalnie nie jest stricte historykiem wojskowości i to właśnie bardzo dobrze pasuje do takiej bitwy jak Krater, gdzie oprócz działań wojskowych koniecznym jest naświetlenie i sensowne omówienie stosunków rasowych i politycznych.

In this richly researched and dramatic work of military history, eminent historian Richard Slotkin recounts one of the Civil War’s most pivotal events: the Battle of the Crater on July 30, 1864. At first glance, the Union’s plan seemed brilliant: A regiment of miners would burrow beneath a Confederate fort, pack the tunnel with explosives, and blow a hole in the enemy lines. Then a specially trained division of African American infantry would spearhead a powerful assault to exploit the breach created by the explosion. Thus, in one decisive action, the Union would marshal its mastery of technology and resources, as well as demonstrate the superior morale generated by the Army of the Potomac’s embrace of emancipation. At stake was the chance to drive General Robert E. Lee’s Army of North Virginia away from the defense of the Confederate capital of Richmond–and end the war.

The result was something far different. The attack was hamstrung by incompetent leadership and political infighting in the Union command. The massive explosion ripped open an immense crater, which became a death trap for troops that tried to pass through it. Thousands of soldiers on both sides lost their lives in savage trench warfare that prefigured the brutal combat of World War I. But the fighting here was intensified by racial hatred, with cries on both sides of “No quarter!” In a final horror, the battle ended with the massacre of wounded or surrendering Black troops by the Rebels–and by some of their White comrades in arms. The great attack ended in bloody failure, and the war would be prolonged for another year.

With gripping and unforgettable depictions of battle and detailed character portraits of soldiers and statesmen, No Quarter compellingly re-creates in human scale an event epic in scope and mind-boggling in its cost of life. In using the Battle of the Crater as a lens through which to focus the political and social ramifications of the Civil War–particularly the racial tensions on both sides of the struggle–Richard Slotkin brings to readers a fresh perspective on perhaps the most consequential period in American history.

Richard Slotkin is widely regarded as one of the preeminent cultural critics of our times. A two-time finalist for the National Book Award, he is the author of Lost Battalions, a New York Times Notable Book, and an award-winning trilogy on the myth of the frontier in America–Regeneration Through Violence, The Fatal Environment, and Gunfighter Nation–as well as three historical novels: The Crater: A Novel, The Return of Henry Starr, and Abe: A Novel of the Young Lincoln. He is the Olin Professor of English and American Studies at Wesleyan University and lives in Middletown, Connecticut.

---

Drugą ciekawą pozycją, która niedawno ujrzała światło dzienne jest pierwszy z czterech planowanych tomów poświęconych wojnie w Luizjanie i Texasie, autorstwa Donalda Fraziera: „Fire in the Cane Field: The Federal Invasion of Louisiana and Texas, January 1861-January 1863”.

user posted image

Do tej pory ciekawsze opracowania dot. wojny na tych obszarach generalnie skupiały się na upadku Nowego Orleanu bądź kampanii Red River, więc czas najwyższy na opis całej historii.

Award-winning author Donald S. Frazier returns to the field of Civil War history with keen turn of phrase and enthralling story-telling with the release of Fire in the Cane Field: The Invasion of Louisiana and Texas, January 1861–January 1863. Beginning with the spasms of secession in the Pelican State, Frazier weaves a stirring tale of bravado, reaction, and war as he describes the consequences of disunion for the hapless citizens of Louisiana. The army and navy campaigns he portrays weave a tale of the Federal Government’s determination to suppress the newborn Confederacy—and nearly succeeding—by putting ever-increasing pressure on its adherents from New Orleans to Galveston. The surprising triumph of Texas troops on their home soil in early 1863 proved to be a decisive reverse to Union ambitions and doomed the region to even bloodier destruction to come.

This bracing new work, ten years in the making, will usher in a chronological string of four books on the Civil War in Louisiana and Texas, as Frazier presents fresh sources on new topics in a series of captivating narratives.

Titles to follow in his innovative Louisiana quadrille include....:
- Thunder Across the Swamp: The Fight for the Lower Mississippi, February–May 1863
- Blood on the Bayou: The Campaigns of Tom Green’s Texans, June 1863–February 1864
- and Death at the Landing: The Contest for the Red River and the Collapse of Confederate Louisiana, March 1864–June 1865.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #28

The General

VII ranga

post 11/09/2009, 20:27 Quote Post

Kolejnych kilka ciekawych nowości:

user posted image
A Dangerous Stir: Fear, Paranoia, and the Making of Reconstruction by Mark Wahlgren Summers (UNC 2009, Civil War America series)
http://uncpress.unc.edu/browse/book_detail?title_id=1660

--

“SISTER STATES, ENEMY STATES. The Civil War in Kentucky and Tennessee" edited by Kent Dollar, Larry H.Whiteaker, and W. Calvin Dickinson (Univ. Press of Kentucky, 2009)
http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.cfm?...roup=19&ID=1548

--

user posted image
DELIVER US FROM EVIL: THE SLAVERY QUESTION IN THE OLD SOUTH by Lacy K. Ford (Oxford University Press, 2009)
http://www.deliverusfromevilford.com/Deliv..._Evil/Home.html

Plus niedawno odkryta nowa seria University Press of Kansas - American Presidential Elections, a w niej jak na razie 3 pozycje z interesującego nas okresu:

user posted image
Vindicating Andrew Jackson. The 1828 Election and the Rise of the Two-Party System by Donald B. Cole (2009)

user posted image
Party over Section. The Rough and Ready Presidential Campaign of 1848 by Joel H. Silbey (2009)

user posted image
By One Vote. The Disputed Presidential Election of 1876 by Michael F. Holt (2008)

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #29

The General

VII ranga

post 28/09/2009, 19:12 Quote Post

user posted image
Od połowy poździernika będzie dostępna książka „Lincoln’s Proclamation: Emancipation Reconsidered” która wychodzi nakładem University of North Carolina Press i zawiera następujące artykuły na temat Proklamacji Emancypacyjnej:

“Lincoln and the Preconditions for Emancipation. The Moral Grandeur of a Bill of Lading” by Paul Finkelman, Albany Law School

“Colonization and the Myth That Lincoln Prepared the People for Emancipation” by Mark E. Neely Jr., The Pennsylvania State University

“’Whatever Shall Appear to Be God’s Will, I Will Do’. The Chicago Initiative and Lincoln’s Proclamation” by Richard Carwardine, University of Oxford

“But What Did the Slaves Think of Lincoln?” by Steven Hahn, University of Pennsylvania

“War, Gender, and Emancipation in the Civil War South” by Stephanie McCurry, University of Pennsylvania

“Abraham Lincoln’s “Fellow Citizens” – Before and After Emancipation” by Michael Vorenberg, Brown University

“Slaves, Servants and Soldiers. Uneven Paths to Freedom in the Border States, 1861-1865” by Louis Gerteis, University of Missouri-St. Louis

“Celebrating Freedom. The Problem of Emancipation in Public Commemoration” by William Blair, The Pennsylvania State University

--

user posted image
Za to pod koniec października pojawi się książka "Slavery and the Supreme Court, 1825-1861" pióra Earla M. Maltza (University Press of Kansas), w której autor podda analizie głośniejsze sprawy dot. niewolnictwa, które przed wojną toczyły się przed Sądem Najwyższym USA: The Antelope; The Amistad; Groves v Slaughter; Prigg v Pennsylvania; Strader v Graham; Dred Scott v Sandford; Ableman v Booth; Kentucky v Denison.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #30

7 Strony < 1 2 3 4 > »  
1 Użytkowników czyta ten temat (1 Gości i 0 Anonimowych użytkowników)
0 Zarejestrowanych:

Topic Options
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Copyright © 2003 - 2023 Historycy.org
historycy@historycy.org, tel: 12 346-54-06

Kolokacja serwera, łącza internetowe:
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej