Witaj GOŚCIU ( Zaloguj się | Rejestracja )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Great Northern War 1700-1721, Polish and Lithuanian armies

hwiccee

Nowicjusz
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 8.799

post 9/09/2005, 21:15 Quote Post

Hello,

I hope that you can understand English. I am British and I can not understand Polish very well.

Are you interested in the Great Northern war (dobie wojnie Polnocnej) 1700 - 1721? I am very interested in this war and I am looking for a Polish speaker who is interested in this war. I want to swap information about the Polish, Lithuanian and other armies & battles in the war.

Would anyone reading this be interested in doing this?

Nick Dorrell

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #1

Sarissoforoj

Kwatermistrz Generalny
Grupa: Supermoderator
Nr użytkownika: 1.265

Stopień akademicki: mgr. inz.
Zawód: Emeryt

post 9/09/2005, 21:42 Quote Post

Organization Polish and Lithuanian Commonwealth Army after Constitution of 1717

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #2

hwiccee

Nowicjusz

post 10/09/2005, 9:51 Quote Post

Dziękuję Sarissoforoj

Here are some other useful Great Northern War pages.

Northern Wars

This site has some pages on the Battle of Kliszow (1702) here Polish Army Organisation 1702 and here Crown Army at Kliszow (1702)

This site has organisation of various armies in the Great Northern War - Army Organisations 1700 - 1721

If anyone is interested I can post some URL's of Swedish and Russian sites.

Are there any Polish sites covering this war?

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #3

Domen

X ranga
Nr użytkownika: 14.456

Tomenable

post 27/05/2008, 0:04 Quote Post

Interesting reading on the Battle of Kalisz - 1706:

http://www.northernwars.com/Kalisz.pdf

The text is translated from Polish (it is a fragment of Jan Wimmer's book about the battle).

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #4

bachmat66

vaquero
Nr użytkownika: 7.402

Dario TW
Stopień akademicki: Juris Doctor
Zawód: wolny

post 12/02/2009, 1:23 Quote Post

QUOTE(hwiccee @ 9/09/2005, 15:15)
Hello,

I hope that you can understand English. I am British and I can not understand Polish very well.

Are you interested in the Great Northern war (dobie wojnie Polnocnej) 1700 - 1721? I am very interested in this war and I am looking for a Polish speaker who is interested in this war. I want to swap information about the Polish, Lithuanian and other armies & battles in the war.

Would anyone reading this be interested in doing this?

Nick Dorrell

Hello there Nick,
if you still interested then perhaps we could do some talking...
I am interested in the development of the light horse cavalry during this era - especially Tatar 'uhlan' regiments of the Saxon Kings, especially horse tack, changes in their 'uniforms,' weapons etc.
The war itself is not very well known nor popular within the so called popular culture. Judging from reading but a few sources and modern works the military history of this war is quite fascinating - the civil wars in Lithuania, two Kings, cavalry raids by the Polish or Lithuanian commanders that recall the glorious days of the 16-17th centuries, end of the winged hussars as an effective fighting force within the national army, ot the last Zaporozhian Cossak armies ...

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #5

artifakt

Zwycięzca Cyferaków 2008
Nr użytkownika: 36.218

Maciej Komar
Stopień akademicki: mgr
Zawód: KAM

post 12/02/2009, 10:18 Quote Post

Nick, if you have interest in what happened during these times on Polish land, you have to take into consideration the Confederacy of Tarnogrod. It was a gathering of nobles, mostly from Malopolska and Rus voivodship, who were tired of Saxon troops taking food and money from their possesions. It lasted from 1715-1717 and was the best confederacy even - it had some military successes (many smaller Saxon troops were shattered) and some cities were captured. The most important part of this is a great level of self-awareness and even greater level of structuralisation of this gathering. It had it's own army, it's own fiscal institiutions, who were better in gathering taxes then the state.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #6

hwiccee

Nowicjusz

post 27/02/2009, 10:15 Quote Post

Hello,

Sorry about the delay in replying but I did not expect a reply after so long smile.gif

bachmat

Yes I think that the military history of this period is fascinating and also the more general history. I think that the start of Poland-Lithuania's problems later in the 18th century start in this period. So I think that it deserves more serious study than it seems to recieve. Of course for a Pole it is not a good period to study as many bad things happen sad.gif

You mention reading some works on this war. Are they Polish? Could you recommend some Polish works on this war? I have the Wimmer book on the war and 2 other Polish books on the battle of Kliszow. Can you recommend some others?

I will be in Krakow in October so I will look for them then smile.gif

Saxon Uhlans: Are there any specific details you are interested in? I have a small amount of material on these units in the 1740's and 50's so maybe I can help. Do you know this webpage - http://www.gromoboy.narod.ru/saxon/saxon.html

This Russian guy has some material on the Saxon Uhlans at this time. If you contact him maybe he could help.

artifakt

Yes I know a little about the Tarnogrod Confederacy but not as much as I would like to know. Can you recommend some books on this?

Based on the little information I have I think that this confederacy had great potential. This is of course why the Russians acted to stop it sad.gif

Both you and bachmat seem to think that traditional Polish tactics were no longer good but I disagree. I think that improvements in firepower, particularly of infantry at this time, made traditional Polish tactics more difficult than in the 17th century. But the Swedes and others used basically Polish tactics very successfully at this time & later. The problem for the Poles was a lack of infantry to support the cavalry.

The Swedes during the GNW and other armies afterwards continued to successfully use cavalry tactics similar to Polish tactics. But they had the infantry support to be able to do this. Polish armies of this time did not have this and so generally failed when fighting a mixed force of cavalry and infantry. But this was not a uniquely Polish failure, all cavalry failed if it was not supported. For example at the battle of Punitz in 1704 the Swedish army was all cavalry. Just like similar all cavalry Polish armies they could not defeat the Saxons who had cavalry and infantry. This even though the Swedes normally easily defeated the Saxons.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #7

1 Użytkowników czyta ten temat (1 Gości i 0 Anonimowych użytkowników)
0 Zarejestrowanych:

Topic Options
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Copyright © 2003 - 2023 Historycy.org
historycy@historycy.org, tel: 12 346-54-06

Kolokacja serwera, łącza internetowe:
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej