Witaj GOŚCIU ( Zaloguj się | Rejestracja )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Poles and Belarus

Kreiuas

III ranga
Grupa: Banita
Nr użytkownika: 19.527

Zawód: BANITA

post 5/09/2006, 21:02 Quote Post

QUOTE(tuxman @ 5/09/2006, 15:57)
Raczysz żartować drogi Kreiuasie pokazując na Polskim Forum Historyków mapę Bialoruskiej SRS z roku 1940-go? Może byś pokazal mapę tej republiki z 1939-go?

I'm very well aware of how the border dividing Belarus into two parts looked like, so I'd better post the fragment of the ethnographic map of the Slavic world by the Czech slavist Lubor Niederle (the Russian reprint; initially from Slovanský svět. Zeměpisný a statistický obraz současného Slovanstva. Laichterův výbor nejlepších spisů poučných, kniha XXXV. Praha 1909, 199 stran + 1 mapa. Srov. č. 133). I really like the ethnic Polish borders at the beginning of the 20th c., and I'm sure you like them as well.

QUOTE(lekarz @ 5/09/2006, 19:47)
- słabe poczucie tożsamości narodowej Białorusinów (wiem, że to bardzo obiegowa opinia, ale czy obecne wydarzenia jej nieco nie potwierdzają - vide status języka białoruskiego, akceptacja bliskich związków z Rosją, niewielkie poparcie dla "narodowej" opozycji?)
- kulturotwórcza rola POlaków na ziemiach dzisiejszej Białorusi - czy to nie Polacy zakładali miasta i stanowili większość ich mieszkańców (a przynajmniej dużo większą część niż Białorusini - vide Grodno, Brześć, Baranowicze)?, i nie byli to "okupanci-osadnicy", ich rola, o ile dobrze rozumiem, powodowała polonizację ludności miejscowej, co daje efekt w postaci rozjechania się poczucia tożsamości narodowej z tożsamością etniczną (tak jak w przypadku Polaków na wileńszczyźnie), tylko czy kryteria etniczne mają tu decydować?
- z tą okupacją to chyba upraszczasz, jasne jest że Białoruś nie miała szans na niezależny byt państowy w 20-leciu, wybór był: albo Polska albo Rosja (bo jakoś nie widzę np. Grodna jako części przedwojennej Litwy), zresztą Litwę po 1918 r. trudno traktować jako prostego spadkobiercę WKL

That's enough. Not all that is silly is funny.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #1

Kreiuas

III ranga

post 8/09/2006, 18:17 Quote Post

QUOTE(lekarz @ 7/09/2006, 19:32)
w przypadku mniejszych miast to miałbyś 100% racji, ale w większych zdaje się, że przeważał żywioł polski (na pewno Grodno - Polacy 60%, Żydzi - 37%, Litwini i Białorusini - 3%, a pewnie w Nowogródku i Brześciu było podobnie, chociaż nic se nie dam za to uciąć wink.gif )

'Zdaje się, że przeważał...' Well, very reliable information.

QUOTE(lekarz @ 8/09/2006, 18:34)
w przypadku Grodna byli to Polacy (źródło: Wikipedia, wiem, że słabe, ale nic innego nie znalazłem na podorędziu) i przed wojną było to w tym sensie miasto zodminowane przez POlaków i Zydów

If it was before WW II, it smells like the infamous census of 1931 (a native language as a criterion) - the one that found 380000 Orthodox Poles and no Catholic Belarusians in the territory of Western Belarus rolleyes.gif. What about the time before Grodno became part of RP II? The Russian census 1897 (a native language as a criterion as well), huh? user posted image Tell me, please!

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #2

Kreiuas

III ranga

post 8/09/2006, 21:37 Quote Post

QUOTE(lekarz @ 8/09/2006, 21:52)
make up your mind - Polish or English confused1.gif

I don't want to write in Polish anymore.

idę o zakład, że w Grodnie proporcje były bardziej na korzyść moich ziomków ze względu na wielkość miasta

Aha, baaaardzo na korzyść. There were 1380 Poles more than Belarusians in Grodno in 1897. The main difference in those Poles/Belarusians - 32162/22996 originated from Białystok, where there were 8939 Poles more than Belarusians (according to the census 1897).

ale sam nie podajesz żadnych danych, to może wysil się nieco...

Enjoy. As you can see, almost all those cities and towns should have belonged to ... user posted image.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

--------------------------------

One more thing:
idę o zakład, że w Grodnie proporcje były bardziej na korzyść moich ziomków ze względu na wielkość miasta

Compatriots? Are you sure that most of them came from Poland?

ŁĄCZENIE POSTÓW (Anakin)

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #3

mapano

VII ranga
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 10.081

post 9/09/2006, 11:28 Quote Post

That's pity.

1380 Poles more than Belarusians

1380 sabres more tongue.gif

As you can see, almost all those cities and towns should have belonged to ...

Jews...Thanks God they have to many problems with Hezbollah to think about taking "their" cities on Belarus and eastern Poland.

Never mind....

By the way I have another ( little wink.gif ) question.

You know my oppinion - I'm against idea of taking territory of today's Belarus, Ukraine, Russia or other country.
We can back to Lwów, Grodno, Brześć as the tourists or as the citizens of ukrainian/belarusian cities.
I think that independence of that countries is the best thing for our state. It's like a guarantee of peace on our borders and a harmony development of our
nation(s).

In my oppinion the union between Belarus and Russia is the step in the wrong way and can be very harmful for situation in our region.
Do you agree with me or do you have different point of view?

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #4

lekarz

IV ranga
Grupa: Użytkownik
Nr użytkownika: 8.240

Zawód: prawnik

post 11/09/2006, 13:56 Quote Post

if you don't wanty to write in Polish, then don't, I'll switch to English then

as to the numbers you posted - Grodno, if you look at the overall number of inhabitants of Grodno speaking Bielorussian or POlish, then 1380 indeed does make a difference rolleyes.gif

you can hardly find a city/town in the 1897 census where Bielorussians would outnumber Poles... as to the fact that in many towns the majority of population were Jewish - you're 100% right but so what?

"compatriots" - yes I'm sure. you're back again with your ethnic argument, polonized Bielorussians (pretend-to-be Polish confused1.gif )? - probably right, but again, so what? many Polish aristocrat families have their roots somewhere in Ukraine or Bielorussia/Lithuania, but it does not change anything. I have French ancestors at the beginning of 19th century - so what? does it make me French? To me, cultural identity decides and not the etnic criteria (anyway, I wonder how you would establish them? what would be the criterion?)

BTW my Russian has become very poor now, what is the category just before Polish?

User is offline  PMMini ProfileEmail Poster Post #5

Kreiuas

III ranga

post 11/09/2006, 22:29 Quote Post

QUOTE(Necrotrup @ 9/09/2006, 14:38)

Czy po takiej deklaracji ma sens
back to Lwów, Grodno, Brześć as the tourists or as the citizens

?
Co ciekawe, znam kilku Ukraińców i jakoś nie mają żadnych fobii na punkcie używania języka polskiego. A po deklaracji takiej, jak ta zacytowana na początku postu, powinno się raczej zakończyć rozmowę z tym użytkownikiem, gdyż jest to ewidentny afront wobec pozostałych użytkowników.

Now I understand that this 'I don't want to write in Polish anymore' sounds too ambiguous. As alcesalces1 has pointed out correctly, I'm just not sure about my Polish. E.g. I have once written 'wcześni Litwini' and 'osobliwość' thinking that these mean 'modern Lithuanians' and 'trait' respectively sad.gif . I'm not polonophobic and I quite like Polish, as it sounds pleasant for my ear and has some archaic features, which East Slavic languages have not preserved. I'm familiar with general points of the Polish interpretation of 'Kresy Wschodnie', including the Polish version of the demography of West Belarus and the Belarusian SSR (the 1921 and 1931 censuses and calculations by P. Eberhardt, who estimated the amount of Poles in the Belarusian SSR at about 600000[1]), so people writing on this Forum about 1-2 mln. Poles living in modern Belarus should not expect any indulgence, just as those who write that Belarusian towns and cities were built by Poles and culture was brought by Poles to wild Belarusians, etc., because these revelations are of the same quality as that 1-2 mln. Polish minority.
[1] According to official data of the Belarusian censuses:
user posted image
(from Białoruskie Zeszyty Historyczne, Nr 22. Siarhiej Tokc. Struktura narodowościowa BSRR według spisów powszechnych (1959–1999). s. 58-75.) A quote from this very source:
"Piotr Eberhardt, oceniając wyniki spisu z 1989 r., pisał: „Można sądzić, że gdyby spis ludności był przeprowadzony dwa lub trzy lata później, w okresie rozbudzenia się polskiej tożsamości narodowej, wyniki byłyby inne. Na podstawie dotychczasowej analizy statystycznej można oceniać liczbę ludności polskiej na około 600 tys. osób”9. Przewidywania polskiego uczonego nie spełniły się. Większość katolików, których utożsamiano z polskoscią, nigdy nie znała języka polskiego i wychowywała się w kregu białoruskiej kultury ludowej. Założenie, że wszyscy katolicy są Polakami, okazało się w warunkach swobodnego wyboru orientacji narodowej całkowicie błędne. Spis powszechny w 1999 r. odbywał się bez żadnych nacisków administracyjnych. Od 1989 r. w kraju działa Zwiazek Polaków na Białorusi, liczący kilkanaście tysięcy cz³onków. W roku szkolnym 1997/1998 jedynie w obwodzie grodzieńskim w 300 szkołach języka polskiego uczyło się 10,5 tys. dzieci. Przy pomocy m.in. rządu polskiego powstały liczne ośrodki promowania kultury polskiej. Nie miało to jednak istotnego wpływu na kształtowanie struktury narodowościowej ludności katolickiej".
QUOTE(lekarz @ 11/09/2006, 15:56)
as to the numbers you posted - Grodno, if you look at the overall number of inhabitants of Grodno speaking Bielorussian or POlish, then 1380 indeed does make a difference  rolleyes.gif

Oh yes, great difference! If you had bothered to count the population of Grodno in 1897, you would have seen that it had been about 45800 with Belarusians accounting for 11,9 percent and Poles for 14,9 percent (Russians for 23 percent). As compared to the insignificant 48,9 percent of the Jewish population, this 3 percent advantage of Poles over Belarusians seems very impressive indeed:rolleyes:! Of course, if you disengage from those negligible Jewish and Russian minorities and use powerful methods of statistics, you can get that there were 25,3% Poles more than Belarusians in Grodno, but wasn’t it you who said ‘idę o zakład, że w Grodnie proporcje były bardziej na korzyść moich ziomków ze względu na wielkość miasta’? Taking into account that the general Polish/Belarusian ratio in urban areas was 32162/22996 (approximately 1,4:1), you would be right if there had been >40% Poles more than Belarusians. Aren’t you wrong wink.gif? I guess that when you wrote ‘kulturotwórcza rola POlaków na ziemiach dzisiejszej Białorusi - czy to nie Polacy zakładali miasta i stanowili większość ich mieszkańców (a przynajmniej dużo większą część niż Białorusini - vide Grodno, Brześć, Baranowicze), you expected West Belarusian towns and cities to have no less than 70-80 percent Polish population wink.gif.
you can hardly find a city/town in the 1897 census where Bielorussians would outnumber Poles... as to the fact that in many towns the majority of population were Jewish - you're 100% right but so what?

You are attentive as usual rolleyes.gif . As for the gubiernia of Grodno, what about Wołkowysk, Prużany, Słonim, Sokołka, [I]Wasilków[/I], Dąbrów, Koricyn (don’t know the Polish spelling), Kuźnica, Nowy Dwór, Odelsk, Suchowola, Janów where Belarusians outnumbered Poles and Kobryn, Kleszczele, Mielnik and Narew, where Poles were outnumbered by Ukrainins? Poles were the biggest ethnic group only in Suraż. Jews were the biggest ethnic group in all towns and cities except Odelsk (Belarusians were) and Suraż (Poles were). Jews are absolutely important, because you wrote about me,‘...zapominając o kwestiach kulturowych oraz mozaice etnicznej w miastach i różnicach w składzie etnicznym miasto/wieś...’ In fact, I had never forgotten about it, and it was quite evident for me that in the Russian Empire both Belarusians and Poles were marginal groups in West Belarusian towns and cities, especially considering how they were treated by Russian authorities.
"compatriots" - yes I'm sure. you're back again with your ethnic argument, polonized Bielorussians (pretend-to-be Polish confused1.gif )? - probably right, but again, so what? many Polish aristocrat families have their roots somewhere in Ukraine or Bielorussia/Lithuania, but it does not change anything. I have French ancestors at the beginning of 19th century - so what? does it make me French? To me, cultural identity decides and not the etnic criteria (anyway, I wonder how you would establish them? what would be the criterion?)

Are you sure that all those 3169 men and 3645 women from Grodno who named Polish as their native language were the Polonised szlachta with clear national ideas, rather than some Belarusians, for whom the term ‘national consciousness’ was unclear in the XIX c. and ‘being a Pole’ meant ‘being a Catholic’ (very common) or ‘being in opposition to Russians’ (less common) and who knew only a couple of Polish prayers and hymns, but on whom some patriotic Catholic priest impressed to always name Polish as their native language? If you look at the above chart from BZH, nr 22 you will see the fate of ‘Poles’ with Polish as a native language (a drop from 261800 in 1959 to 50000 in 1970 without any migration outside the Republic), so you can’t deny that for Polonised Belarusians claiming ‘Polish is my native language’ is just a declaration (not for ethnic Poles, of course), which they don’t hold too dear. It was enough to stop Polish brain washing which had taken place in RP II and most ‘Poles’ forgot that Polish is their native language and quickly ‘learnt’ Belarusian for some reason. By analogy, it is absolutely possible that part of those Poles from the 1897 census did not even know the Polish language or knew it at a fairly utilitarian level. From the study of H.Turska (a decent researcher, but probably a bad Polish patriot from your point of view) ‘O powstaniu polskich obszarów językowych na Wileńszczyźnie’ (I‘ve read a Russian translation), it is seen that, unlike Lithuanians, Belarusians were not subject to linguistic Polonisation (they could understand Polish and say a couple of necessary expressions without having deep knowledge of Polish (just like me now smile.gif!)), so it is likely that some of those ‘native speakers of Polish’ had very limited knowledge of the language and just declared it for the reason of borrowed cultural identity or some ideologic reasons.
I’m writing all this to make it clear that a lot of polonised Belarusians did not have the same idea of polishness as you are attesting to them in the 21st c., and for them the link to that Polish culture which you value so much could be limited to chanting ‘Buh jest niepajenty, zauża szłenty’ (if I remember correctly; probably ‘Bóg jest niepojęty, zawsze święty’; I’ve heard it from two old purely ‘Polish’ women from near Mińsk). In some Belarusian ‘Poles’ there were too little polishness (and in those younger ‘Poles’ with Belarusian and Baltic surnames whom I know there seems to be no polishness at all), no wonder that they melted so easily.
mapano
I will answer you a little bit later (if you still want me to answer after what I've written about Belarusian 'Poles' confused1.gif ). For now I can say that I don't have the same opinion of ZBiR as Fanat_Eurasii has.

User is offline  PMMini Profile Post #6

1 Użytkowników czyta ten temat (1 Gości i 0 Anonimowych użytkowników)
0 Zarejestrowanych:

Topic Options
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Copyright © 2003 - 2023 Historycy.org
historycy@historycy.org, tel: 12 346-54-06

Kolokacja serwera, łącza internetowe:
Uniwersytet Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej